Monday, November 13, 2017

Literature

One of the quotes that I like is: "But miss Celia, the way she stared at me with those big eyes like I'm the best thing since the hair spray can, I almost rather she'd order me around like she's supposed to" (58). The way Minny describes miss Celia interests me because she treats Minny so much differently than anyone else has. Minny is confused about why she is treating her differently, she says that she'd rather have miss Celia treat her like she's supposed to. I think Celia treats her differently because she is new at the whole help thing and she is not rasict. When Celia is asking Minny how much to pay her, she offered a lot more then was expected. When Minny is working for her she doesn't just clean around the house Celia likes to talk to her and ask Minny to teach her how to cook. I think that Celia will end up to be a supporting character. I think she is also different from the rest of the women like Skeeter, because of how they treat the help and the way they talk to others.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that Miss Celia is different than the other women in the book. She doesn’t seem very used to having someone work for her. When Minny tries to be the normal maid her mom wanted her to be, Miss Celia doesn’t treat her the way a normal white woman would treat the help. The kind way in which Miss Celia treats Minny scares her. It shows something that I feel I, and others, do in real life as well. We all tend to chose familiarity over a new situation, regardless of the conditions. Minny would rather have Miss Celia treat her badly, because that’s what she knows and is used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that Miss Celia is very different from the rest of the women. Miss Celia acts as if she is a child. It is as if she can't tell the difference between white and blacks at the time. It is as if she doesn't understand the time period she is in. She treats Minny completely different from what all the other people Minny has helped. She is some what scared of Minny. Celia is also a mental reality check for Minny to see that there are some people of different skin colors that Minny doesn't have to put such a blocker up against them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that Miss Celia is different from the other "society women" in the book. She seems unattached from the other women, though that isn't a horrible trait because she doesn't seem to have been exposed to all the racism of Jackson. This shows, like you mentioned, in the way she treats Minny. She treats Minny with a high respect, more like a good friend who is helping her rather than a maid. I also think that her attitude towards Minny also opened Minny up a lot more than Minny had been at the beginning of the story. It gave her the strength to leave Leroy in the end, because she knew she had Johnny and Miss Celia's promise that she would always have a job with them and their protection.

    ReplyDelete