Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Literature

•    What are your favorite lines or quotes?  Copy them in your blog and explain why you like them.
•    What clues did the author use to help you predict what was going to happen later?
•    What were some of the events that created conflict in the story?
•    Would you like to read more books by this author?  Why or why not?

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite quotes in The Help was when Aibileen told Skeeter, "Go to New York, Miss Skeeter. Go find your life" and then "[Miss Skeeter] smile, blinking back tears, and say, 'Thank you'" (Stockett 513). I liked this quote because I thought it showed a lot of depth in terms of them both filling an empty hole in each other's lives. Ms. Skeeter has never really had anyone to motivate her to live out her dreams, considering her family had never exactly been supportive of her decisions. And now she has Aibileen giving her that strength she needs to go forth with this life changing event. And Aibleen, being a maid for white families such as the Leefolts, had probably never had any white person say "thank you" to her and genuinely mean it. Skeeter telling Aibileen "thank you" shows how despite all the discrimination going on during these times in that moment they were nothing but equal in each others eyes.
    My next favorite quote was when Minny started awake in bed, and "[She realized] what it was that woke [her]. [She] heard what [she's] been waiting on. What [they've] all been waiting on. [She] heard Miss Hilly's scream" (Stockett 486). I liked this quote because I thought the fact that Miss Hilly's scream was so loud that it echoed across Jackson all the way to Minny's house was hyperbolic and funny in a way. It was so greatly exaggerated, that it might as well have shaken the entire planet. I think it shows off Miss Hilly's irritating personality, and I can just picture her shrieking when she realizes what Skeeter's book is really about and throwing a fit.

    ReplyDelete